Labour Party (LP) Presidential candidate, Peter Obi was allegedly detained by UK immigration officials on Friday, April 7, 2023, upon arrival at Heathrow Airport in London. The incident was revealed by Prof. Chinyere Okunna, a renowned Mass Communications scholar and Deputy Vice Chancellor of Paul University Awka, who is also a close associate of Obi.
In a lengthy Facebook post on Tuesday, April 11, 2023, Okunna disclosed that Obi was detained for several hours and subjected to intense interrogation by the immigration officials. She added that Obi, who has lived in the UK for several years, narrated his experience to her in confidence and expressed disappointment about his treatment, which he believes is aimed at forcing him out of Nigeria.
Okunna, who served as Commissioner for Information, Commissioner for Economic Planning, and Coordinating Commissioner for Development Partners under Obi’s administration, also revealed that Obi’s phone and those of his wife and children were placed under surveillance, which she described as a dangerous development that could tarnish his reputation.
The LP Presidential candidate has not made any public statement about the incident, but his supporters have expressed concern about the motive behind his detention and the potential impact on his political campaign. The UK authorities have not commented on the matter.
#PeterObiDetained #UKImmigrationControversy #LP2019PresidentialCandidate
- Access Bank Marathon Maneuvers: Smooth Routes, Safety for 2024 Lagos Run
- Police Bust Illegal Weapons and Drug Ring in Proactive Sweep
- CP Abaniwanda Surajudeen Olufemi Takes Charge, Vows Improved Security in Delta
- Massive Bust: Church Burglary Unearths Stolen Cache; Suspects Apprehended
- Renowned Pastor Taiwo Odukoya Passes Away at 67: Fountain of Life Church Mourns Loss